Friday, December 5, 2008

What is Important about Christmas.

I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season. I really love this time of year. The celebration of Jesus's birth is special to me and I try to focus on that.

Probably what I don't like about this time of year is the push to spend more money than I know I should. It's hard not to buy all those neat things out there for the people you love and know would enjoy them. I have five children, and have spent many years buying and wrapping gifts that I knew they would love, and I loved every minute of it. However, as the kids get older, the gifts get more expensive and seem to come out of obligation instead of need. No one in our family "needs" anything this year. We are very blessed to have all of our needs met, along with most of our "wants". We do help those around us in need, with various charities in our church, school and community, but it seems like there is always more we could do.

I believe one of the greatest things you can teach your children is to look past themselves to the needs of others. As we celebrate our Saviors birth, we give thanks to Him for our abundance and ask that he would direct us to the needs of those around us. If we all helped just one family, what a difference we would make in our country. Merry Christmas

No comments: